February 17th, 2021
Covid-19 (coronavirus) Update
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update
In this update, we look at the numbers at a glance, revisit the current restrictions and border closures, provide information regarding COVID-19 vaccines, look at the waiting period between a COVID-19 vaccination and the Flu vaccination, and highlight the free and confidential support available to all employees and their families through Acacia Connection (Employee Assistance Program).
COVID-19: Numbers at a glance
Whilst we continue to manage the infection in Australia, here are the most recent numbers at a glance. To read more about case numbers and the current situation in Australia, please go to the Department of Health website.
- 28,905 total confirmed cases
- 43 active cases (estimated)
- 909 total deaths
- 2 locally acquired* in the last 24 hours
- 3 overseas acquired in the last 24 hours
- 12 total hospitalised
- 0 current cases Intensive Care Units (ICU)
- 54,959 tests in the last 24 hours
- 13,757,442 total tests conducted
- 2% tests were positive.
* Locally acquired cases reported in the last 24 hours and in the last 7 days, include cases reported as “under investigation”.
Restrictions and borders
Keep up to date with changes in the State in which you live and work with these quick links:
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
The Australian Government is planning to release free vaccines for COVID-19. This video from the Department of Health explains how the COVID-19 vaccines are being assessed and what happens once the vaccines are rolled out. A transcript is also available through the video link provided.
The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine has been provisionally approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) for individuals 16 years and older.
National coronavirus and COVID-19 vaccine helpline
If you need information about COVID-19, COVID-19 vaccines, or help with the COVIDSafe app, call the telephone number listed below. This number operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you would prefer to email your enquiry, please email the appropriate address below.
1800 020 080
COVID-19 vaccine enquiries:
MSS Security will provide further information regarding the Covid Vaccine and its staff in coming weeks
Influenza (Flu) Vaccinations – coming soon
As it has done each year, MSS Security will be facilitating free flu vaccinations to all staff. More information will be released in March.
People should talk to their health care professional for more information on Vaccines and to discuss personal circumstances.
Click here to read more on the Department of Health website regarding COVID-19 vaccinations.
Consultation & Participation
All employees are encouraged to participate in creating a safer and better workplace, including during COVID. This can be done by talking to your Site Supervisor, Business Manager, SSM or HSE Advisor (with whomever you feel comfortable communicating). An online option is also available to you where you can submit any comments, constructive feedback or ideas about the health and safety at your site should you not feel comfortable raising it with your Site Manager, Business Manager, SSM or HSE Advisor.
The online tool allows you to include your name or alternatively you may remain anonymous – however your name is useful so we can respond to your concern/idea.
- Go to the Employee Portal and login using your payroll number and password. Employee portal: https://msssecurity.com.au/employee-portal/
- Click on the “Safety, Health & Wellbeing” box and select “HSE Reporting &/or Suggestions” option in the drop-down box.
- Fill in your name & payroll ID (if you feel comfortable to do so).
- Select the State and Division to which your concern/idea relates…
- Type in your comments on the right-hand side of the screen and then click on Submit.
Support – Mental Health, Dietitian & Manager resources
All MSS Security employees and their families have access to free confidential services through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). This service is provided by an independent company called Acacia Connection.
Username is MSSSecurity
Password is Acacia.
Acacia offers assistance for a wide range of areas including but not limited to:
- Critical incidents. A service to assist with incident management, triage, and response.
- 24/7 Access to crisis counselling with qualified psychologists.
- Manager hotline available 24/7 to ask a question about managing a difficult employee or situation at work.
- Short-term solution-focused counselling for many different work or personal topics of support
- Access to a highly qualified dietician.
- Access to qualified financial counsellors
There are some very simple and proven preventative actions you can take which are especially critical now that there is an increase of cases in some states. To protect yourself and others:
- Learn, understand, and follow the rules and restrictions in the areas in which you live and work.
- Practice good hand hygiene and maintain at least 1.5m physical distancing from others.
- Follow the limits for public gatherings.
- Get tested if you have any symptoms and stay at home while you are waiting for the test results.
- Download the COVIDSafe app and activate it before you leave home.
- Office-based staff: remember to email visitors to your office the “Covid 19 – MSS Visitor Pre-visit Assessment” and ensure that it is completed prior to their visit. The link is available in ISOPro.
Additionally, we remind all MSS Security employees and its contractors of the other steps you can take to be COVIDSafe:
- For the latest advice, information, and resources, go to health.gov.au or download the Coronavirus Australia app from the app store.
- Call the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact your Site Manager or Business Manager.